Monday, January 14, 2008

The filaments are glow, they go unchecked from this color-spectral flow

I resent the accusation that my ability in the English language has in some way become impaired merely because of my childishly inept, yet comedic, defamation of In Rainbows! Can't you philistines appreciate ironic hyperbole? What? I can't repress these opinions, they shoot out like bullets from a gun named celibacy. See? I'm off the mother-fucking chain.

Jason and I went to Jim-BO-cho the other day. *Waits for laughter* This is the train stop that has books painted on the walls. Guess what this place's "thing" is?

Taxidermy.

No, it's books! It was pure torture! Imagine being at sea for months, having lost way your way as well as most of your crew and supplies in a vicious storm seemed conjured from the very barometric pressure of hell itself, water at it's last trickle as you watch the endless expanse of sea lap up against every side of your tiny, recently dilapidated vessel.

Yeah, it was like that.

But then we found a bookstore with english books, half of which were steinbeck's apparent lesser works. Although I did get invitation to a beheading and the old man the sea, two that i've been meaning to absorb. Jason's quest to read the the zoo story and once and for all solidify his opinion on albee once again bore no fruit.

Then we went to Shimokitazawa and saw some bands. Unbeknownst to myself at the time, if the bill has 5 or more bands, the thrifty concert goer can choose one band to see out of the many and save money. For me, however, with an aching to desire to see as many bands that I don't know as possible, an indie cluster-fuck, if you would so kindly follow my turn of phrase there, the question what band do you want to see conjured no response besides, "must one choose?"

The scene is what you would expect from this sort of venue, expect not from japan. But then, when does ones expectations of Japan ever resemble the reality? So true, so true...

The bands were pretty good. Jason and I both liked the first band, worst taste, which we only saw a couple minutes of, although Jason maintains we saw half of a set. I liked the second band, creepy pop, because of their animal like dual lead men, their bassist who never faced the stage and seemed to be behind the electronic effects, and the bad ass drummer that came on with a sick mask, yet started the set shirtless. I used my amazing Japanese skill to ask them what their band name was and also to tell them that they were skilled musicians. Riveting stuff, I know. The next band was sub par aside from the last song, which ended in the lead guitarist smashing his guitar. It had been acting up all set, so the rage shown towards it was believable. The guitar, man. Had it coming. Jason liked the next band, nemo, because he likes noise rock. Wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't bad. The next band sucked. Exactly the kind of band I don't like. Jason thought they would be tolerable as background music, and I think the only reason I stayed was because of how goofy the band members looked, but we both knew they sucked. I think I accidently promised the lead singer we would see their next show though, when I asked him what their name was (the band order was incredibly choatic, to the point that at one point I could only assume that the fist band whose name I asked was LYING TO ME ABOUT THEIR BAND NAME, which ended up being mere paranoia) and then mentioned that I had heard of the venue at which their next show was to be performed. Haha, awkward.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats not what i meant, stupid. you did things like use the wrong there/their etc etc over and over.

Anonymous said...

I love that your first assumption was that the band was lying to you about their band name. That's awesome. I think I'm going to start doing that at shows.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I understand you'd want to defend your english skills but if you were gonna write something to defend yourself I expect perfection!! Where are the cannibals and clowns??? Though I did enjoy the celibacy cannon... Also, Madison isn't the same w/out ya brother!

Anonymous said...

If you can go to an underground concert in a foreign country, you have made it. That's how I see it and what I strive for.

Anonymous said...

Great work.